New arrival by Clive Dickens

I’m delighted to let you know that Jo Russell is joining us.

Jo is one of the best-loved commercial radio presenters outside London (she is the lead player in the ‘Jo and Twiggy’ breakfast show which has dominated its East Midlands market for years) . You may recognise that show’s name. Every Sony and Arqiva judge will – it has won major awards year after year, so it’s great to be able to offer Jo the national platform she deserves.

Jo will be hosting some early breakfast programmes and weekend mid mornings. Her arrival means we’ll be waving farewell to JK and Joel later in the year, as they disappear to do yet more TV (and probably more radio stuff elsewhere too soon, given how much they love it). Sadly, though, this also means that Robin Burke will not be with us on a regular basis going forward after some great efforts at the crack of dawn in the last few months – and almost seven years at Golden Square. Robin- thanks for all you’ve done.

Clive

Comments (27)

1. Gavin @ September 1, 2008 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Clive,
    if you read this can you not let Jk and Joel and Geoff go as I love those shows

2. Niko (from Manila) @ September 1, 2008 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Whoa. That was a surprise, I say. Sad seeing JK/Joel and Robin go (especially Robin, as it’s his shift I usually catch while at work – he’s my lunchtime show)… but I wish them all the best.

And good luck to Jo, too! Sad to see Jo/Twiggy split up. I’ve always seen their names in the award rosters, but haven’t really had a chance to listen.

3. Vikki @ September 1, 2008 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Its really sad to hear Robin Burke will not be here on a regular basis and I’ll miss him . All the very best to Robin . I’m looking forward to meeting Jo Russell . And goodbye to JK and Joel all the best to them .

4. Jono @ September 1, 2008 at 11:41 am | Permalink

JK and Joel deserved breakfast. Shame they’re off again.

5. Joe @ September 1, 2008 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe you are letting Robin Burke go. He should have been promoted. His and Geoff’s shows were the only ones i listened to.

6. Cian @ September 1, 2008 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Best of Luck to JK and Joel, didn’t see it happening but all the very best of luck to them. They’re very talented – they don’t need it!

Best of Luck to Robin aswell. Put Ben Jones on breakfast!

7. Will in Sidcup @ September 1, 2008 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

OK you VIRGIN GUYS , so all this hype about the New Name for Virgin Radio, whats happening to Virgin Radio Classic Rock , i been what you call a floating listener to Virgin ,i was there at the Start as you promised to be different to all stations previous , & true to your word you were.

So will the New name & station go back to the Early Days of Virgin1215 & not play the so called Best New Music of today as queit frankly its just crap & a load of noise,
    when Virgin 1215 launched it was sooo good & refreshing to hear a station that did not play the same songs over , on what was then the NRWD, No Repeat Work Day from 9-5, may be if you did No Repeat 12 hours Day from 8am to 8pm.

Good luck with the New Radio Station , hope its a good Name like something along the lines of Classic Rock Radio UK OR just Classic Rock Radio!

Regards Will in Sidcup.

8. Serena Maya @ September 1, 2008 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Will REALLY MISS YOU Robin Burke..! early mornings will just not feel the same without you. Wishing you all the best for the future. You deserve BETTER. serena x

9. Siggi @ September 1, 2008 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe you are letting Robin Burke go. He is a great dj/presenter and one of the best on (Virgin) Radio. Really sad to see him go. Joe, you are absolutely right he should have been promoted.

Also sad to see JK and Joel go away.

10. andrew @ September 1, 2008 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

i will miss robin burke! seems like a really good bloke!

according to the radio section of digitalspy it looks like the new name is out?

well what ever the new name will be good luck to everyone! i will continue to listen to this brilliant station.

11. Benjamin @ September 1, 2008 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I must say im shocked that Robin Burke is leaving Virgin/Absolute i really enjoyed getting up in the morning and hearing his refreshing voice as i wake up. Best of luck to Jk and Joel, dont think they were quite Virgin/Absolute material. Any news if Ian Lee is leaving?

12. Ashley Brown @ September 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

An email to the VIPs claims the new name is “Absolute Radio”.

I hope you guys didn’t pay too much for that…

13. Anita Stevenson @ September 1, 2008 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

I too am surprised that you are letting Robin Burke go.Seven years is a long time and he is a good dj.I am sure he will do well in whatever comes next for him. Good luck,Robin. AnitaXX

14. Paul Carolan @ September 1, 2008 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Robin Burke is a legend. Fact. I’ll miss you on-air squire, and hope you get a cracking gig somewhere else. You deserve it.

Good luck to all my old chums with the new station brand. Look forward to seeing the all-new Absolute Radio in action. And Clive, whatever changes you make to the playlist, please please keep Russ’s 80′s hour – the best hour on radio.

Sweet Carolan

15. Paul Carolan @ September 1, 2008 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

p.s. Kirsty Fisher, there’s a spelling mistake on your blog entry.

3/10 see me.

16. Marty from new yawk @ September 2, 2008 at 5:20 am | Permalink

It’s an absolutely sad day when a presenter of the calibre of Robin Burke is incompatible with the new brand.

17. Tim Abbott @ September 2, 2008 at 6:34 am | Permalink

Good morning. I’m just wondering why you haven’t blogged on the unveiling of the new name… since it is now present on the Virgin Radio site and in the pages of trade press and forums alike. :)

18. Nootty @ September 2, 2008 at 10:10 am | Permalink

So sad that to know Robin will leaving.. :-( , when will start..end of september or 3 Sep 08..

I would like to know..where he will be great DJ.

Hope to listening Robin again..asap.

19. Linsy @ September 2, 2008 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I’m SO gutted to hear that Robin is leaving, he and Geoff were the only reasons I listened to Virgin :( :( :( :(

I wish him the very best of luck, and I know he’ll do AMAZING things wherever he goes.

He does deserve better than this, MUCH better – and he’ll get it.

Love you Robin :D :D :D :D

20. Lance @ September 2, 2008 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

when will website be working???
    i ve been getting the “oops” message for a week now!!

21. adam @ September 2, 2008 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

The website should be working just fine – there haven’t been any major problems in the last week as far as I’m aware. Both http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk and http://www.virginradio.co.uk currently work, although please do start using the new URL as the old one will stop working in due course.

If anybody’s continuing to have problems with the website then please do let us know.

22. Lance @ September 2, 2008 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

This is the message im currently getting–
    Ooops
    It looks like our database servers are running a little hot at the moment.
    Cross your fingers and refresh this page, and it should work okay.
    If you continue to get problems, please contact us and let us know.

how can i fix this??

23. Yorkshire Pud @ September 2, 2008 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Will we be keeping Neil Francis on the afternoon slot ??.

24. Darren Crook @ September 2, 2008 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I was hoping that Leona was going to higher profile slot she’s been there a mighty long time its about time she was given a full day time slot. Where’s John Osbourne and Sarah Champion going to feature in this new line up if any where

25. Mister Mephitic @ September 3, 2008 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Highly amusing that the contents of this blog entry -the “signing” of Jo Russell (who her?) is of demonstrably of no consequence to any of the posters.

26. Chris Lawson @ September 4, 2008 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Great to see, so many comments about the name and brand and hear what we still have to do. Thanks, I really mean it. It’s only by debating what we stand for that we will get better. You are right, Absolute. is only a word, its what we do with it that counts, so you will hear more from me on that. I joined four weeks ago, its been mad – but the most exciting job that I’ve ever done. So I’m thrilled by the task ahead. There is still more to be done- we all know that and I’ll be taking your comments on board.

Just one thing though. After reading the posts, we do need to work hard to avoid management speak, tell us if we lapse into it when we talk to our listeners, however sometimes it just works for the day to day stuff. And, behind the marketing speak and the stereotypes we are real music fans. I head up the marketing and website but I’m a music fan first. That’s what I’m really passionate about and everyone who works with us at the “Brand consultants” is passionate about what they do too. We just want to make a success of this, listen to some great music, play out some great gigs, have some fun and be proud to hear music that we believe in and believe others want to hear on our radio station. Then tell as many people about it as possible. I couldn’t do it otherwise.

Oh and they’re playing Joy Division on Virgin Radio – I never thought I would hear the day!

27. Agus_bsas @ September 10, 2008 at 4:07 am | Permalink

It’s a pity Robin Burke is leaving. I’ll miss his voice!!
    All the best for RB!!